Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Yes I Am Alive :)

Hello everyone! Thank you to all of you who have been checking back with my blog even though I haven't posted in so long. :) It is about time I let you all know what has been happening. I thought pictures would help me to update you.

 So here I am at the hospital the night I fell. My leg doesn't look that bed, huh? I swear I thought I had dislocated my knee. But no, I shattered my tibia at the top of the bone right under my knee. If you look at the x-ray closely, you can see I broke the tibia is about 4 or 5 places.

After having x-rays, the doctor said I needed surgery and after a bit, he set me up to stay the night in the hospital and have surgery the next morning. I was so happy he helped me to get the hospital room and surgeon so quickly, especially because the next day was Labor Day. He wrapped me up and set me to bed. 

The next day I had surgery in the morning, which was the first surgery I had ever had and I was scared. I hadn't cried at all before the surgery but right before, I was really scared and was crying. But after a couple of hours in surgery, I came out fixed and just fine. I stayed in the hospital for 3 days on a bunch of morphine (my first time I have ever had that) and then went home. Luckily, my insurance provided me a hospital bed, crutches, and a wheelchair. So I came home and rested a lot the first couple of weeks. My whole leg and foot were really swollen and bruised for a while. 

I have been out of work for 2 months now and will have to be out for another 2 months and that is hard. I miss working and people. I has been quite a journey so far. For a while, I had a nurse coming to my house to check on me, my bandage was changed several time, I had my staples taken out (all 30 of them, yes 30), and am almost ready to start physical therapy.
Leg with staples
Leg after staples came out
My leg today

Alrighty so that's a short review of what's happened over the last 2 months. I will post more about all of this soon. Thanks to all of you for visiting again. I promise to not let so long go by between posts. This all has been a very emotional experience and I let all those feelings get in the way of sharing. I will share that aspect of this experience too. 
I hope you are all well and in good spirits!! Giant hugs!!!!


  1. Multiple fractures at the top of the tibia is a big deal. I am glad that you are healing well and hope that once PT starts that you will get back to full mobility. i am sure that you know that the scar will get better over time.
    Keep working on your recovery.

  2. Pat, thank you so much for the well wishes. I have been in PT for several months now and am getting batter and better. And yes, I knew the scar will get better, but as of now, its not an issue. I will have another surgery in a year and a half to take out the plate and screws. Hope you are well and in good spirits!