Monday, June 10, 2013

Trying Something New



William and I went camping last week for 5 days. It was fantastic! Days were spent fishing, eating, swimming, kicking back, rafting, and playing games. We decided to stop and stay at a spot down a little hill on the side of the road, not  a "real" camp site but clearly a place people had stayed before. It really was set up as though it was meant for us and our camping gear. 

We both really enjoy fishing and this spot was right on the river. There was a sweet fishing spot that we kept getting fish from right down at the river by our spot. I caught some fish and strung them so they could stay alive in the river. I kept fishing and checked on my fish later. They died and where being eaten by crayfish. I kinda got mad and shooed them away. I took the fish, and we fed them to the dog. The next day, I caught another fish, and it too got eaten by crayfish. Then it occurred to me; I am out there fishing for food so why not fish for crayfish. I left the fish in the water and netted 4 crayfish. I had to sneak up and come at them from behind because I discovered they swim backwards. Having caught these things, I had to cook them, which I knew nothing about. 

I figured I could boil them like little lobsters, and it worked out pretty good. We had boiled crayfish with garlic butter and it was pretty good!!

It was really joyful to try something so out of my box, and I am encouraged to do more. :) 

Do you try things out of your box??

No comments:

Post a Comment