Saturday, October 3, 2015

Sewing Beginnings


In the summer of 2012, I decided to take up sewing. The only thing I really knew a bit about was making a quilt because my mom and her mom, my grandma, and my dad's mom. my other grandma made quilts. I have had and seen many a quilt made and for some reason thought I should start learning to sew by making a quilt. I used fabric we already had and were either left overs from another project (like recovering stools, making pillow cases) and old clothes I kept because I liked the fabric (my husband's old silk boxers, a pair of shorts I bought in Japan, a shirt I loved that got old). To that, I added other fabrics I had collected over the years. But mostly, its made from the fabric of our 20 + years at that point. The edge and backing is an old sheet we had which is a grey flannel material.

As you can see if you look closely, I did not have all the skills necessary to make a really good quilt. The rows and columns do not match up perfectly and the grey edging that folded over from the back is not symmetrical around all the edges.

Yet, I really enjoyed doing it and learned a lot about fabrics and how they sew. I learned that different fabrics require different tensions while sewing and that putting together different fabrics in one stitch is very difficult for a new sewer.  With all the difficulties I had while making this quilt, I love it and appreciate its imperfections. Doing this quilt showed me what I know about sewing and what I had to learn, which I discovered was a lot.

Since this time in 2012, I bought a book to teach myself to sew and have completed many projects from that book. It is called Sew Everything Workshop by Diana Rupp. I love this book and have been learning tons every since! If you want to learn to sew, I highly recommend this book.

So that is the beginning of my sewing journey. I will continue to share with you the things I have made over the last three years. Hope you continue to come back and share this journey with me!!

Thanks for coming by! HUGS!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment