Monday, October 12, 2015

The Beginnings of My New Quilt



I have mentioned before that I am using a book called Sew Everything Workshop to learn how to sew, and in this book, there are 26 projects at the the end at 3 levels of difficulty. I am currently on the last few projects in level 2. One being this quilt. 


The first step was this- cutting out 30 11" x 11" pieces of cotton quilting fabric. I used fabric I have saved over time. Some fabric I got from my mom, and those are from when she made a quilt and bird cage cover for me when I was 8. Yes, that fabric is 35 years old. Other fabrics are from other projects I have done from the above mentioned book. A few fabrics I bought recently with intentions of using them in some project.

After several re-configurations, I decided on this (so far). It is always hard for me to commit to one of the configurations because I often think there could be a better pattern or a pattern I will like better later.

The next step, which I have just started, is to sew the pieces together in horizontal rows. This is where I messed up my last quilt. I did not know what a seam allowances was back then (which is how far from the edge of the fabric you put your stitching, or seam.)  So I just sewed the pieces together and them sewed the rows together. Here is that quilt:


It looks a little wonky, doesn't it? In this picture, I can't see exactly where the pieces don't fit right like I can in real life, but I can totally see that it doesn't look uniform, symmetrical.  

With the quilt I am working on now, I am really paying attention to sewing all the pieces together in an uniform way, with the same seam allowance on all of them. I finished sewing the first two rows and they line up!! YEAH! I only have to do that 3 more times, which is awesome because it provides me with practice, really deliberate practice of making even seam allowances. 

I am excited to see how this all turns out! I will keep you updated on the quilt as I go along. :)

Hobbies anyone??  What do you do? For fun or challenge?

HUGS!!!!!


2 comments:

  1. Quilting can be addictive. If I may offer a suggestion, when you have completed the top select the back material and batting. Find a shop or private party and have the quilt custom machine quilted. This is before binding. I would guess in your area finding such a resource should be no problem. It may cost up to $150. Maybe about the cost of one of Nadine's classier outfits. If you like the outcome, really like it, then you will be well on the path to a forever hobby that can challenge all your artistic instincts. Next quilt, choose a more challenging pattern but still uses simple sewing techniques. Then throw your artisan skills at it with fabric selection. Or maybe a vintage quilted skirt. That might be a stretch considering what I detect to be your or Nadine's fashion sense.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, thank you for all the advice! πŸ˜€ I am not sure what I will do with this quilt, but I can totally see how this can be addictive. It is very intriguing to do another one with a more complicated pattern. We'll see. 😳
    Thank you so much for commenting about the quilt. I have done a couple of sewing posts and no one seemed interested. So I am glad this sewing post reached someone! 🌸🎈

    ReplyDelete