Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Those Darn Walls



Ever wonder about the walls you have? Don’t think you have any, huh? I think if I were to ask if someone if they thought they had walls up around them, they would be inclined to say no. But after some reflection, it seems to me that most people would discover they do have walls that they use to protect themselves from something.

In a previous post, Barriers to Love, I referred to the walls I have in my life. Today, I wanted to explore that a little more. Here it goes. Let’s see where this leads.  J

I grew up never considering myself a hider. Truly, I thought I was outgoing and friendly. I had a lot of friends, played sports, starred in musicals, did cheer leading, was a Girl Scout, and more.  My mom involved me and encouraged me to be in many activities. Yet looking back, I can see that I hid right out in the open.  Doing all that stuff was me desperately trying to be normal and not let anyone know how messed up I felt inside. I never talked to anyone about what was going on at home.

So what was going on at home? (I didn’t really know this is where this was going but what the hell?) When I was young, as I have mentioned, things were pretty good at home. But when I was about 3 or 4, my mom got pregnant. (BTW I did not find out about this whole story until I was 18.) My parents had tried to get pregnant for years but with no luck, which is why they adopted my brother (2 ½ years older) and me. When my mom got pregnant, they decided that having another baby was not in their plans. The plan was, as best as I can understand, was that my mom would have an abortion and my dad would get a vasectomy.  Well, it seems that they were pretty messed up because neither one could figure out how to make that agreement work.  It seems like my mom was more unreasonable than my dad. But basically, my mom made an appointment for the abortion, and my dad could not make it because of his work. My mom did not reschedule, and he missed it. She was very resentful; sadly, she still is 37 years or so later.  She says he did not get a vasectomy for a year after that and that she would not sleep with him all that time.  I do not think I have the whole story, though.

My dad says they went to counseling, but my mom has no recollection of that. This makes me believe she has distorted the truth with the anger she has towards my dad. Eventually this led my mom to move out of my parent’s room into her own room when I was 8. Shortly after, my brother and I found papers that indicated that she was thinking about divorce.  After finding that, my brother said outright that we will never talk about what we found and I didn't.

The walls had started before then because my parent’s problems pervaded our home, but after that crap, I actively built walls to hide what I knew and what I felt. It is weird to think that I never talked to anyone about what I was going through, but truly, I did not talk to anyone until I met my husband and even then, it took years for me to open up at all.

Walls are crazy because people create them for a purpose which does serve us for a while. I surely did that. Yet eventually, those same walls inhibit us from growing and becoming all that we can be.  I am challenging myself to tear down those walls, one brick at a time or more if I can.

How are your walls doing? Intact or beginning to come down or all the way down?

2 comments:

  1. There seems to be lots of reasons to be sad but also many reasons to be happy and have hope. I am sure that when you and your brother were adopted it was with the best of intentions and that it was the goal of your parents to give you a life full of love. While no one really knows what other life paths would have included, had you not been adopted your lot in life could have been dismal.

    I have had many discussions with woman who had abortions. It is amazing to me how many of these women, even decades later, mourn the loss of their child. They have a hard time discussing the subject but when the look around and see all the life that is in the world they carry with them the questions about what the life that was growing in their womb could have experienced. I cannot say but I wonder if the changes that you experienced from your very happy younger years to the alienation you felt later may have been hidden behind the walls of you mother's mind in those quiet times when she contemplated the life that never came to be.

    I was the first born to my parents after my mother had suffered the miscarriage of three daughters. I had two younger brothers but no sisters. Sometimes when my mother was sad and I would ask her why she would tell me that she was thinking of the daughters she never knew.

    Pax.
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I so appreciate your comments every time. Your willingness to be open and honest is inspiring.
      I have always thought my parents adopted us because they wanted children and that they did love us. My mom having an abortion when I was 3 or 4 definitely affected her on many levels but I truly believe they could have worked through that together, if they chose to.
      Sounds kind of hard to do but I know it can be done from experience. I too had an abortion when I was 21ish. William and I decided we were not in a place to be able to care for a child in the way we felt a child deserved. To this day, I do not regret that choice. For me, the understanding of my own very strong beliefs about what should be done in raising a child has helped me to not mourn anything. That child would have not had a good life because I was and am still not available to give myself 100% to a child, which is what I think every child deserves.
      Again thank you so much for commenting and giving such deep food for thought.

      Delete